I had to make homemade pound cake because I was in charge of desserts on Easter.
Hey, no judging, yes it took me this long to post a recipe from months ago! Anyway, I made the homemade pound cake, when I really wanted to make angel food cake. UGH! But it doesn’t matter, the pound cake was delicious! I am generally in charge of desserts at family functions 1) because I like to bake and 2) my family knows they will not only get one dessert. Usually 3 or 4 to choose from.
I had a dessert in mind, then my sister Jenny texted me and said, “What about Strawberry shortcake? MMMMMM”. So I was like, ok, that will be my 2nd dessert and I ran around my house looking for a recipe for pound cake when I finally found one in the hundreds of church cookbooks I have. I made it, it looked and smelled delicious, but then I remembered – My mom used angle food cake for Strawberry shortcake. What was I going to do? Nothing. strawberry shortcake can be make with pound cake or angel food cake, so I just went with the flow, because I sure as heck did not have time to make angel food cake.
Plus, pound cake can be used in a lot of desserts! Not only did I use it in my Strawberry Shortcake, I could have also used it in my Easy Tiramisu recipe!
Check it out.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350, and lightly grease an 8x8 pan
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar with a spoon, beating well until the mixture is light and slightly fluffy.
- Add buttermilk,eggs and vanilla - mix well.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the went ones.
- When no dry clumps of flour remain, pour into pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until the cake springs back and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- With all fillings, desserts you plan to serve this, serve it slightly warm, If you have to refrigerate or let it cool completely, warm it up in the oven for about 15 minutes before serving.
You can also use this Homemade pound cake in the following recipes:
Chocolate Tiramisu Parfait
But instead of using frozen pound cake, use this homemade pound cake!
Angel Food Cake Fruit Parfait
But instead of using angel food cake, use this homemade pound cake!