Create your own No Sew Holiday Table Decor!
Make your own table runner, place mats and napkin rings without using a sewing machine. What you will need for all projects:
- Fabric – Use multiple patterns. You will need different lengths for each project. For example, I used 4 yards for my table runner, 2 yards for my placemats, and only 1 yard for the napkin rings.
- Small velcro dots
- Sharp scissors
- Safety pins
- Project board
- Fabric fusion tape
- Rotary cutter
- Cut the fabric lengthwise to be about a foot longer than the table you will be using the runner on.
- Cut the fabric width-wise to be about 4 inches wider than you want the runner to be.
- Cut each end into a “v”.
- Turn the fabric so that the “inside” is facing you.
- On every edge of the fabric, fold it over about 1-2 inches and use fusion tape to create the finished seams on the runner.
- Using the extra fabric, cut small strips and divide into 2 piles.
- Tie strips evenly on two safety pins, making a it them look like a pom pom.
- Attach the safety pin to the inside of the runner on either side (see picture).
- Roll up one napkin, then using a measuring tape, measure around the napkin to see how long your napkin ring should be when closed. Mine was 5 inches.
- Decide how wide you want your napkin ring to be. I decided 3 inches.
- Add 2 inches to every side, then cut your fabric. I ended up cutting (6) 9×7 pieces.
- Measure 2 inches in on any side of the fabric, cut your fabric fusion to fit, place the fabric fusion on the inside of your fabric at the 2 inch mark that you measured, fold the fabric over and iron the side down. Repeat on the other three sides. Now you have the finished edges without sewing.
- Place the velcro dots on each corner of the napkin ring. Place the fuzzy sides on one end and the rough sides on the other.
- Wrap the napkin ring around your napkin and voila! You are done!
- Cut the project board into 13 x 13 squares using a rotary cutter.
- Cut as many place mats as you will need.
- Cut your fabric into 15 x 15 pieces.
- Cut a “v” shape out of each corner of the fabric, with each side of the “v” being about 1 inch. (This will remove any extra fabric when you fold it onto the project board.)
- Iron the fabric.
- Place one project board onto one piece of fabric.
- Cut velcro the length of each fabric side. Place the “fuzzy” side of the velcro on all 4 sides of the velcro.
- Place the “rough” side of the velcro on the project board.
- Fold the fabric over, top then bottom, side then side, so that the velcro holds the fabric snuggly in place on the project board. You will have extra fabric on each side, use a small piece of velcro, or the velcro dots to hold the extra fabric in place.
- Repeat with the rest of your place mats.